Friday, March 2, 2012

Flannel Friday - Shoes Storytime

I was inspired by recent Flannel Friday contributions to do a shoe storytime.  Unfortunately our library system doesn't own Pete the Cat, My New White Shoes.  I am definitely going to find a copy to look at.

I made a flannel for One Two Buckle My Shoe.

I got the door and hen patterns from www.kizclub.com/  The door is from Where's Spot and the hen is from Barnyard Banter. The shoe I just freehanded after looking at pictures on the internet. When I was a kid,  I learned the rhyme as "shut the door"  but "knock on the door" is better so you can open the door and see the bear say "Hi."


We did the rhyme as an action rhyme twice, then I put up the flannels as we said the rhyme.  I put the nine on the board upside down and many of the kids knew that was a six and I had to turn it around. I then counted down from Hen to take the flannels off. The kids thought that was hilarious,  hen, ten, nine, sticks, eight....

One two, buckle your shoe (reach down and pretend to tie your shoe)
Three four, knock on the door (knock on the door)
Five six, pick up sticks  (pretend to pick up sticks)
Seven eight, lay them straight (pretend to lay them down in a row)
Nine ten, a big fat hen. (put your hands in your armpits and flap your wings and cluck)
Source: Mother Goose

Toddler Books:
Hello Toes Hello Feet by Ann Whitford Paul
Whose Nose and Toes by John Butler
Whose Shoes by Margaret Miller

Preschool books:
Dog in Boots by Greg Gormly
Holly's Red Boots by Francesca Chessa
Centipede's 100 Shoes by Tony Ross
Which Shoes would you Choose by Rosenthal
Whose Shoes by Margaret Miller



We did the action rhyme: Old Shoes New Shoes. Thanks to Katie at Storytime Katie for the idea!  The kids wondered why I was asking their names and got so excited when I used them in the rhyme. 

I also sang the Charlotte Diamond song: "I Have Shoes and I Can Walk" with the preschoolers. When I heard her in concert last week, she said it was a new song.  I don't see it on her webpage yet, but you can watch for it here.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Pete the Cat?!? Someone needs to fix this STAT.

Recipe for Reading said...

Cute one! Great for a numbers theme! Love the idea of counting backwards as you took your pieces off--keeps the kids engaged!