Thursday, March 29, 2012

Flannel Friday - Pigs wanna fly

A couple years ago when I started doing storytimes, Chris LeMieux taught me the flannel board song, Eight Piggies in a Row.  You can hear the song on Raffi's cd, Everything Grows. Raffi only sings the first verse. Chris learned the song from Sally Chilson, our youth services coordinator, and after adapting it for her needs passed it on to me.

I put up the eight piggies.  These are from Pigs love Pancakes by Anika Denise. I just photocopied a pig that I liked from the book and used it as my outline. Details are drawn with fabric paint.

You have the children count the pigs by ones and twos before you sing the rhyme and between each verse.

Eight Piggies in a Row
  (adapted by Chris LeMieux)
There were eight piggies in a row
There were eight piggies in a row
Did they dance?  No No.  Did they sing? No No.
BUT two of them though they could fly. (Throw the last two pigs behind the flannel board )
That left six piggies in a row.

There were six piggies in a row
There were six piggies in a row
Did they laugh? No No.  Did they Cry? No No.
But two of them thought they could fly. (Throw last two pigs behind the flannel board)
That left four piggies in a row.

There were four piggies in a row
There were four piggies in a row
Did they dance? No No.  Did they sing? No No.
BUT two of them thought they could fly. (throw them)
That left two piggies in a row.

There were two piggies in a row
There were two piggies in a row
Did they laugh? No No.  Did they cry? No No.
But these two piggies thought they could fly. (Throw them)
That left no piggies in a row.

I also have used this song for a guinea pigs storytime.  I just used a guinea pig clip art from the internet, colored them and backed them with felt to make pairs.
The kids love it when I throw the two piggies that think they can fly over the back of the flannel board.

No comments: