Friday, March 9, 2012

Flannel Friday Inspired - Kitty is her name-o

The last time I did a Dogs storytime, I had great success with the B-I-N-G-O flannels I made following Miss Mary Liberry’s post.  You can find it here. This week my storytime theme was Cats.  I was looking through all my saved cat rhymes and songs and there it was…

I Know A Cat - sung to "Bingo"
I know a cat with perky ears,
And kitty is her name-o.
K-I-T-T-Y, K-I-T-T-Y, K-I-T-T-Y,
And Kitty is her name-o.
She makes a sound and it's "meow,"
And Kitty is her name-o.
K-I-T-T-Y, K-I-T-T-Y, K-I-T-T-Y,
And Kitty is her name-o.
You can find this song on many internet sites, with various attributions. The first time I saw it, it was credited to Cheryl's Sweethearts ChildCare.

In a flash of inspiration, I knew I was going to make a K-I-T-T-Y flannel.  First I made up a couple of more verses.
When she is happy, she will purrrrrr
And kitty is her name-o
Clap-clap-T-T-Y, clap-clap-T-T-Y, clap-clap-T-T-Y
And Kitty is her name-o

She can chase a mouse or chase her tail
 And Kitty is her name-0
Clap-clap-clap-T-Y, clap-clap-clap-T-Y, clap, clap, clap-T-Y
And Kitty is her Name-0

She laps her milk and jumps on my lap
And Kitty is her name-o
Clap-clap-clap-clap-Y, clap-clap-clap-clap-Y, clap, clap, clap-clap-Y
And Kitty is her name-o

She washes her ears and takes a nap
And Kitty is her name-0
Clap-clap-clap-clap-clap, clap -clap-clap-clap-clap, clap, clap, clap-clap-clap
And Kitty is her name-o

Then I went to my stash of old cat calendars. Some of them were from the 90’s.  I had to reject some cute cat pictures because they were too large.  The hardest part was free-handing the letters.  I ended up adding a couple pieces of Velcro, because the pictures were slick and the flannel that showed around the pictures was not enough to hold the piece up when the pictures were turned to the back.


You just turn over another letter for each verse in the song. Instead of clapping, we “Meow”ed once for each cat showing.  The kids especially liked the cat with the pizza.
The last verse, where we sing fifteen meows in a row, I personally thought was hilarious.  It was another hit.  I love this job.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I love that you placed a kitty picture in place of the letter. The kids must have loved it. And you meow-ed!!! too cute!

Storytime Fun said...

You gotta love kitties! Yours are so adorable!

I have a co-worker who is in her 70's who LOVES cats. Despite her age, she is still doing a storytime for 3 to 5 yr olds. She is such an inspiration! Her favorite storytime theme is Cats. I think I will make her a flannel set of "Kitty Is Her Name-O".

Thank you for the idea!