Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Wall Displays - Polar Bears

I change my wall displays four times a year. I have a long section above the children's audio/visual shelving that is around forty inches high, so my main pieces usually measure 30 inches high and up to 40 inches wide. I make five to seven pieces.  I tend to have the pieces facing left toward the picture book area, with one piece looking the other way for visual interest.  I get my ideas from (copyright-free) clipart and children's books. We have an old fashioned overhead projector to enlarge my drawings. Our main branch downtown has a photocopier that can make transparencies, but I've found it faster and easier to just trace or draw on the transparency sheet. Here are my polar bears for this winter.  I had to add a different head to the skating bear to get them to be more uniform and added ear muffs and a scarf to the sledding bear.   The snowflakes were made by staff over the years.



My other wall space goes from ceiling to floor but I try to keep everything above book shelf height.  The kids sledding are from previous year.  I find that every winter display looks better with snowflakes.


Disclaimer: The opinions expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Spokane Public Library.

No comments: