Friday, February 3, 2012

Flannel Friday

I do a twenty minute toddler storytime for kids 18 months to three years and a half hour preschool storytime for kids three to five every Tuesday and Thursday.  I wanted to share my recent Lunar New Year storytime.
I was inspired to make some Chinese lanterns from the pictures in the Oriental Trading Company catalog, but I could not find a five Chinese Lanterns rhyme.  I ended up adapting a rhyme I found on Amazon. 
Five Chinese Lanterns (tune: I'm a little tea pot)

One Chinese lantern shining bright
  Use it to light your way at night
If it's really dark, just light one more
  That's what Chinese lanterns are for.

Two Chinese lanterns...
Three Chinese lanterns...
Four Chinese lanterns...

Five Chinese lanterns shining bright
  Use them to light your way at night
Lanterns help celebrate Chinese New Year
  Gung Hay Fat Choy! Gung Hay Fat Choy!
[adapted by Susanne Miller]


I used a 3 oz dixie cup to cut out circles for the lanterns and just eyeballed the hexagonal lanterns. I added little rectangles of felt at the top and bottom with the bottom piece cut into a fringe. Then a small loop of felt at the top and added stripes and Chinese characters with fabric paint. (again from the ads in the Oriental Trading Company catalog)

For the toddlers I read:
Bringing in the New Year by Grace Lin
My first Chinese New Year by Karen Katz

For the preschoolers: 
Chinatown by William Low
This Next New Year by Janet Wong
Red is a dragon by Roseanne Thong

We also learned the Nancy Stewart song, Gung Hay Fat Choy. This was difficult for me because I could not get the tune to stay in my head and had to play the music to sing along. The song with words and an instrumental version are on Stewart's cd, Songs of the Month Vols 1 & 2.  I had thought it might be too difficult for the kids, but all they really got into it. Our circ crew let me know that some were actually humming it afterwards while they checked out their books!

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the vies of Spokane Public Library.

3 comments:

Storytime Fun said...

Congratulations on your first Flannel Friday post and welcome to the group. :-)

Also, welcome back to blogging! You'll have to share how things have changed in blogging after 5 years with us newbies to blogging. I've only been doing it a few weeks but I am having soooo much fun with it!!!

Anne said...

Welcome to Flannel Friday! Your lanterns are lovely, if I may say so.

Library Quine said...

Thanks for the flannel and the rhyme. I love that this can be used any Chinese New Year, regardless of what animal it is the year of.